Google Quality Standards
Google released their search quality evaluator guidelines back in 2015, which has since then become available for every marketer out there. Today, these guidelines show how google looks at the web pages and how they rank content by high to low quality. Here’s what you need to know about EAT, YMYL, and beneficial purpose in 2022.
Since its release, the guidelines have been updated 3 times, recently in October of 2021. It’s important to remember that search quality evaluator guidelines can only guide us to where we need and want to go. Think of it as more of a roadmap opposed to an answer key.
What is the concept of beneficial purpose and what does it mean for us marketers who handle SEO? Beneficial purpose essentially is the purpose of the internet – more importantly, the purpose of websites and web pages. Websites and their respected pages are created to help their users.
By understanding the purpose of the page you’ll be able to better understand what criteria goes into evaluating that page for quality. The overall goal of this is to ensure that the page is created to help users. Here’s a couple examples of what a high quality “user-centered” web page should look like:
- Sharing information about a specific topic
- Sharing personal/social information
- Sharing photos, videos and other media
- Expressing opinions or point of views
- Entertaining users
- Selling products or services
Overall, beneficial purpose plays an important role for your users. Your site and content should have some sort of ussr-focused purpose that benefits them at the end of the day.
YMYL: Your Money or Your Life Content
Your Money or Your Life content is the type of information that can directly impact the reader’s happiness, health, safety, or financial stability. When you create a YMYL page with bad advice or misinformation it can affect your users’ lives. Google takes content seriously when it comes to spreading bad advice. Here are a couple of examples of YMYL topics:
- News and current events – advice and information on business, politics, science, technology. It’s important to use your judgment and knowledge of your locale.
- Civics, government, and law – advice and information over voting, government agencies, social services and legal issues.
- Finance – financial advice and information over taxes, retirement planning, loans, banking, insurance.
- Shopping – information about goods and services, essentially allowing people to make purchases online.
- Health and Safety – advice and information about medical issues, drugs, and hospitals.
- Groups of people – advice and information on groups of people such as race, ethnic origin, religion, disability, age, sexual orientation.
While there are many YMYL topics, the quality evaluators that google uses have to use their judgment to determine whether a page qualifies as YMYL content.
E-A-T: Expertise, Authoritativeness, Trustworthiness
Once a page has determined its beneficial purpose, its level of E-A-T is considered in terms of whether the content is YMYL. Non-YMYL content doesn’t require the same severity as YMYL content.
The E in E-A-T stands for: Expertise 一 It refers to the creator of the main content on a web page. The expert must have credentials to back up the content on the website. People with relevant life experience in the topics that are being covered on the web page can be considered experts—no formal training or education required. However, this only holds true for non-YMYL content.
The A in E-A-T stands for: Authoritativeness 一 This refers to the content that appears on the website. Authoritativeness stands for people knowing your background and seeing you as a leader.
The T in E-A-T stands for Trustworthiness 一 This refers to the creator, content and website. Being trustworthy means people can trust the information you provide. You’re credible as a good source for providing information.
Here are a couple of topics that require high E-A-T:
- Medical advice
- Journalism/news stories
- Science topics
- Financial, legal, and tax advice
- Hobbies: such as photography, playing piano
In order to create high quality ranking content, you should incorporate Beneficial Purpose, E-A-T and YMYL to your marketing strategy. Like anything else, Google is constantly changing their strategies. To stay on top of the curve, you should be adjusting your strategy along with their changes in order to stay relevant in your industry.
As Google Partners, Onimod Global has over a decade of experience and expertise when it comes to all things SEO, social media advertising, content marketing and paid search. Got questions about Google strategies or want to learn more about us? Contact us here today.