Google Maps is one of the first things that people think of when you hear the phrase “local SEO.” When we think of any business that will have what I need, whether it’s furniture or food or office supplies, Google Maps is the go to. I know that the search results have plenty of information to pick the best option with Google reviews, star ratings, photos, and location information.
We’re here to give an overview of Google My Business and how you can move up in Google Maps rankings. These tools will give your Google My Business posts the ability to get additional reach locally.
Google My Business Overview
First thing’s first, you need a Google My Business listing. Here is a simple checklist with everything you’ll need to include:
- You’re using your legal business name
- You’ve chosen the primary category most relevant to your business and have added additional categories (if applicable)
- Correct address is shown (if you’re not a service area business)
- Address is hidden if you’re an service area business and service areas have been designated
- Hours of operation have been added
- Local phone number is being used
- Website link is correct
- Appointment link has been added (if applicable)
- Products have been added (if retail)
- Services have been added (if you offer services)
- Applicable attributes have been added
- Business description has been added
- Opening date has been added
This is going to be the first impression anyone has of your business, so it’s important to have all information accurate and up to date. Mike Blumenthal even coined the phrase “Google My Business is your new homepage” back in 2015.
Increasing Google Maps Rankings
Now that the basics are out of the way, you can begin a strategy for increasing your Google Maps rankings. Although marketing on Google Maps is free, you can boost your business’ visibility in search results with local search ads.
With the use of these ads, you can push your business listing to the top of search queries for keywords relevant to your business. Google Maps ads use location targeting, so the most relevant audience in your near vicinity will show up for location-relevant searches. These ads appear in desktop and mobile searches. We recommend implementing these ads into your Google Ads strategy if you haven’t already done so.
More From Onimod Global
As trusted Google experts, our team is here to help with holistic digital marketing strategies including all Google Ads, because our goal is to make your business more successful. To get in contact with an audit on your digital presence, get in touch with us here.