You’ve narrowed your keywords, written compelling ad text, and perfected a great landing page. But when you check your Google Ads Quality Score, it’s not performing well.
Step one. Don’t panic.
A low quality score can translate to a multitude of potential issues with the campaign, meaning there are lots of ways you can improve it. Before you start, though, it’s important to know how Google is grading you and why it’s so important. Onimod Global is here to help explain Google Ads Quality Score and how you can easily improve yours!
What is a Google Quality Score?
A google quality score is a combination of factors which describe your ads overall relevancy to the customer. From 1-10, Google grades campaigns in three areas: keywords, ads, and landing pages. Google describes the score as “a warning light for a car’s engine.” It tells you, the driver/ad creator, that something’s wrong with your ad or website so that you are alerted to fix it. Better ad scores of course translates to better ad ranking.
Difference between Quality Score and Ad Rank
Ad Rank is Google’s version of taking into account much more campaign information to determine where your ad will show up within search engine results pages (SERP).
According to Google, they also take into account the following:
Ad Rank is calculated using your bid amount, your auction-time ad quality (including expected clickthrough rate, ad relevance, and landing page experience), the Ad Rank thresholds, the competitiveness of an auction, the context of the person’s search (for example, the person’s location, device, time of the search, the nature of the search terms, the other ads and search results that show on the page, and other user signals and attributes), and the expected impact of extensions and other ad formats.
Quality Score, on the other hand, is more so a tool for advertisers to use and improve your campaigns. Quality in your ads is important for everyone involved:
- Helpful for you, because your ad budget is spent more efficiently with a more relevant ad in front of a better targeted audience who is likely to convert.
- Helpful for the customer,because no one likes or has time to scroll through useless information irrelevant to their search query.
- Helpful for Google, because their platform is used in good purpose and more people are likely to return to them for search queries.
Simple steps to improve your Quality Score
- Improve your keyword selection. Using keywords which are too broad will only lose your ad in the crowd of many others boasting the same phrase. Similarly, keywords that are too niche narrow your potential audience. Meeting somewhere in the middle guarantees a more visible ad.
- Increase landing page loading time. This is one tip that’s often overlooked, because you would think it’s all about your audience and ad copy. However, the quality of your landing page is just as important. Google wants to know that content loads quickly enough to hold a customer’s attention.
- Maintain the level of relevancy. You may notice your ad starts out strong with a solid quality score, and then takes a small tumble. This is Google signaling you to restructure your ad. Grouping ads by the target audience, keyword, and other factors improve the relevancy of the ad.
Contact Onimod Global
For more on the latest digital marketing news and information, follow Onimod Global! Our experts release the latest digital marketing news and essential marketing tips every Tuesday and Thursday. To catch up on the top digital marketing news and trends, click here. To find out more about who we are and what we do, click here.